Like the movie and music industries, publishing offers its share of exciting awards recognizing excellence in writing.
The coveted Philip K. Dick Award is presented annually with the support of the Philip K. Dick Trust for distinguished science fiction published in paperback original form in the United States. The award was inaugurated in 1983 after the untimely death of the iconic science fiction author, Philip K. Dick, whose work has been adapted into major motion pictures such as Blade Runner, Total Recall, and Minority Report.
I’m serving as one of five judges for the 2016 PKD award. After participating in the Time Travel Bundle for Storybundle.com earlier this year, I became excited by the concept of a bundle comprised of PKD Finalists and Winners.
One thing led to another, and now I’m thrilled to curate the Philip K. Dick Award Bundle for Storybundle.com. Above and beyond earning the distinction of the award, this unique and historic collection of eleven amazing books showcases the many-splendored spectrum of science fiction from classic themes to the avant-garde.
Visit the majestic city of the Ascendants in Elizabeth Hand’s Aestival Tide, the spooky abandoned storage closet down the hall in Kathe Koja’s The Cipher, rock-n-rolling San Francisco in 1967 in my own Summer of Love, a Martian colony with a terrible secret in Lewis Shiner’s Frontera, the visionary far future in Walter Jon Williams’ Knight Moves.
As always at Storybundle.com, you the reader name your price—whatever you feel the books are worth. You may designate a portion of the proceeds to go to a charity. For the Philip K. Dick Award Bundle, that’s Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (“SFWA”). SFWA champions writers’ rights, sponsors the Nebula Award for excellence in science fiction, and promotes numerous literacy groups.
The basic bundle (minimum $5 to purchase, more if you feel the books are worth more) includes:
- Aestival Tide by Elizabeth Hand (PKD Finalist)
- Life by Gwyneth Jones (PKD Winner)
- The Cipher by Kathe Koja (PKD Finalist)
- Points of Departure by Pat Murphy (PKD Winner)
- Dark Seeker by K. W. Jeter (PKD Finalist)
- Summer of Love by Lisa Mason (PKD Finalist)
To complete your bundle, beat the bonus price of $15 and you’ll receive another five books:
- Frontera by Lewis Shiner (PKD Finalist)
- Acts of Conscience by William Barton (PKD Special Citation)
- Maximum Ice by Kay Kenyon (PKD Finalist)
- Knight Moves by Walter Jon Williams (PKD Finalist)
- Reclamation by Sarah Zettel (PKD Finalist)
All of these accomplished, traditionally published authors have received recognition and won multiple awards in addition to placing as a PKD Finalist or Winner, and we’re delighted their ebooks are available for the Philip K. Dick Award Bundle. Elizabeth Hand has won the World Fantasy Award (among many others), as has Gwyneth Jones. Pat Murphy has won the Nebula twice, Kathe Koja the Bram Stoker. The list goes on.
If you’re just dipping your toe into science fiction and not sure where to begin or if you’re a long-time fan and reader, this historic and unique collection is an excellent addition to your elibrary, providing world-class, award-winning reading right now and into the holidays.
So there you have it, my friends. The Philip K. Dick Award Bundle is available only from September 23 to October 15, 2015 and only via Storybundle. The bundle is easy to read on computers, smartphones, and tablets, as well as Kindle and other ereaders via file transfer, email, and other methods. You get multiple DRM-free formats (.epub and .mobi) for all books.
When the bundle is gone, it’s gone. So download yours today!
It’s super easy to give the gift of reading with StoryBundle, thanks to our gift cards – which allow you to send someone a code that they can redeem for any future StoryBundle bundle – and timed delivery, which allows you to control exactly when your recipient will get the gift of StoryBundle.
Why StoryBundle? Here are just a few benefits StoryBundle provides.
- Get quality reads: We’ve chosen works from excellent authors to bundle together in one convenient package.
- Pay what you want (minimum $5): You decide how much these fantastic books are worth to you. If you can only spare a little, that’s fine! You’ll still get access to a batch of thrilling titles.
- Support authors who support DRM-free books: StoryBundle is a platform for authors to get exposure for their works, both for the titles featured in the bundle and for the rest of their list. Supporting authors who let you read their books on any device you want—restriction free—will show everyone there’s nothing wrong with ditching DRM.
- Give to worthy causes: Bundle buyers have a chance to donate a portion of their proceeds to charity. The Philip K. Dick Award Bundle features Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America.
- Receive extra books: If you beat our bonus price, you’re not just getting six books, you’re getting eleven!
StoryBundle was created to give a platform for independent authors to showcase their work, and a source of quality titles for thirsty readers. StoryBundle works with authors to create bundles of ebooks that can be purchased by readers at their desired price. Before starting StoryBundle, Founder Jason Chen covered technology and software as an editor for Gizmodo.com and Lifehacker.com.